Vegan Gluten-free Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
You can never go wrong with pancakes. They are perfect for breakfast or dessert. Unfortunately for us, pancakes are pretty unhealthy which is probably what makes them so good. This vegan gluten-free blueberry lemon pancakes recipe is a delicious substitute for the commonly processed pancakes and it all starts with oats.
Oats are affordable, easy to cook, and very versatile. Oats are a whole grain food rich in fiber and nutrients. Consuming oats instead of processed breakfasts (cereals, pastries, etc.) increases diet quality and the intake of key nutrients.
These healthy energy balls are one of the many recipes I include in the 6-week customized meal plans I offer. I take personal care to make sure your sustainable plan includes delicious recipes that fit the macros you need to get the body you want.
Click on the button below to start making healthy eating more enjoyable.
Oats contain a lot of antioxidants so their consumption has been associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2-diabetes, and obesity. The soluble fiber in oats (β-glucan) may help improve blood lipid levels, insulin levels, and increased satiety.
Oats and Cholesterol
Oats contain phytosterols which are naturally occurring in plants. They are structurally similar to cholesterol so they compete with LDL-cholesterol for absorption by the digestive system. Consuming phytosterols can lower LDL-cholesterol levels. Your body needs LDL-cholesterol but too much can contribute to heart disease and stroke. Adding phytosterols to your diet is highly recommended.
Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
This vegan pancakes recipe is the perfect substitute for the common pancakes made with processed and refined carbs, especially white flour. We all know refined carbs cause inflammation and provide very little nutrients. This recipe avoids all of that and provides you with key nutrients and minerals, especially iron.
The banana and blueberries keep the pancakes very fluffy and moist so we don’t have to sacrifice texture and flavor. This recipe is also gluten-free and vegan, making it a great option for most people. If you love pancakes, this delicious recipe is worth a try!
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (for paleo, use 1 cup almond flour instead)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder (exclude if paleo)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (exclude if paleo)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Place all the ingredients except the blueberries in a food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth and even. Fold in the blueberries by hand.
- Preheat a non-stick pan and divide the pancake mixture based on the size of the pancakes desired and cook each side till browned.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy! I added maple syrup, blackberries, strawberries, bee pollen, and cocoa nibs.
Note: The smaller and thinner the pancakes are, the more evenly they will cook through. I divided my mixture into three pancakes so the inside stays very soft and almost mushy.